Springfield, Illinois Attorneys Obtaining Compensation for Motorcycle Accident Victims
Helping you recover financially so you can focus on healing
In recent years, higher gasoline prices have greatly increased the number of motorcycle riders and, consequently, the number of motorcycle accidents. In 2008, while deaths in motor vehicle collisions involving cars and light trucks reached an all-time low, motorcycle collision deaths reached an all-time high. Since riders and passengers are almost totally unprotected, even a minor collision can result in serious and disfiguring injuries.
The attorneys at Londrigan Potter Randle P.C. understand the risk you take every time you get on your bike. And even though we have handled thousands of motorcycle accidents, a Londrigan Potter Randle lawyer always takes the time to listen to your unique story and accurately advise you of your legal options.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents in Illinois
A motorcycle is not a two-wheeled car, although many motorists expect motorcycles to operate like cars. That fact alone is the most common thread in motorcycle accidents because:
- Distracted driving is one of the most serious problems affecting drivers today. Drivers are only partially on the lookout for other cars, so the likelihood of their not seeing a motorcycle is quite high.
- Intersections are another danger zone, because the limited amount of attention that some motorists commit to the road is divided among traffic, traffic signals, pedestrians and other items.
What should I do after a motorcycle accident?
Any auto accident can leave a victim dazed and unsure of what to do, but a motorcycle accident is even worse because the personal injury and property damage is usually much more severe. At LPR, we always advise our clients about what to do in the event of an accident:
- Never admit fault or make accusations of fault. There will be plenty of time for that later.
- Call 911 and make injured victims as comfortable as possible while moving them as little as possible.
- Call your insurance company. This phone call may take several minutes, so be sure you are calm.
- Take pictures of the damage and get the names of witnesses.
Motorcycle accidents are likely to result in serious injuries to the cyclist
More than half of the personal injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents are to the upper and lower extremities. The fact that Illinois does not have a helmet law significantly increases the chance of serious head injuries for riders in our state:
- Head and neck injuries often involve a traumatic brain injury or other serious trauma injury. These injuries often occur in higher-speed collisions when the rider is thrown from the bike.
- Leg and foot injuries are more common in lower-speed collisions, when exposed legs and feet are crushed. Such patients often endure painful surgeries followed by months of rehabilitative care.
Work with compassionate motorcycle accident attorneys serving Central Illinois
The attorneys at Londrigan Potter Randle take the time to understand the facts of your specific case before developing a plan. Since there is never any fee unless you receive compensation for your injuries, there is no risk when you contact Londrigan Potter Randle P.C. at 866.658.3248 or online to schedule your free consultation.